HUSKY LADY

DOG SLEDGING CHALLENGE 2006

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

THE CHALLENGE - MARCH 2006

DOG SLEDGING IN THE LAND OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN
For More Information visit – www.acrossthedivide.com


On the 12 March 2006 I will be on my way up to the very North of Norway, 200 miles within the Arctic Circle. I will be part of a team of friends and strangers and all of us feeling pangs of anticipation for what we are about to do.

According to the itinerary, we will be met at Alta airport and taken off to Gargia where we will be kitted out in extra clothing for the harsh conditions. I have read that temperatures reach as low as –30 degrees up here. We will then have a briefing on the safety aspects of dog sledding and cabin life. I can see the problems that may arise from falling off the sled and the dogs tearing away at top speed while I hold on for dear life. But cabin life?? All will be revealed I’m sure.

The next day, we will learn how to handle a sled and finally meet the poor dogs who have been through this so many times that I’m sure they think up lots of tricks to play on us ignorant humans. After lunch, we pack our sleds, hitch up the dogs and the journey begins.

The trip lasts for five days and takes in a circular route of 250 km stopping at places that I couldn’t find on any of my maps or travel guides. I finally found a good map in Stamfords. The terrain is a mixture of forests and frozen lakes. It is hilly in places and I think that I have to get off the sled going uphill and push to help the dogs. Going downhill, I hang on for dear life and hope that a tree doesn’t come between me and the rest of my life.

The places where we will be stopping for the night are Soulovombi , Maze, Soussjavri,
Jotka and Gargia. Most of the accommodation is in lodges or cabins but the stop at Jotka is in a tented camp in the forest. Every night after travelling from 30 to 60 km a day I will have to unhitch my team from the trace which sounds very complicated making sure that the lead dog is unhitched last. Then I have to make a sort of soup for them by melting snow and cooking it with reindeer meat. This is how the dogs take in liquid. Then I chop up frozen chunks of the aforesaid meat and throw it to the dogs. Please note that I am a vegetarian so this is completely alien to me. I must NOT hold the meat out in my hand like I feed my horse an apple. When they are all happy and bedded down, I can then attend to my own needs which could involve a slug of vodka to get over the ordeal!

Every morning early the whole process has to be repeated in reverse (leaving out the vodka bit). I have been told that sled dogs do what dogs do naturally while they are in full stride and that it is advisable to wear goggles and keep your mouth closed. So no shrieks of exhilaration whilst careering down an icy slope unless you want a mouthful of……………… mush!

I think this trip will be very challenging but fantastic and I am really looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home