HUSKY LADY

DOG SLEDGING CHALLENGE 2006

Saturday, November 26, 2005

WHY OH WHY?

I have always been attracted to the Polar Regions but it was a book that changed my life - Terra Incognita by Sara Wheeler. It is an informative, humorous and passionate account of the writer's time spent in Antarctica. Afterwards, I started reading every book I could lay my hands on about the history of that continent and the men who explored it and those that came back and those that did not. I discovered that mere mortals could go there if they had a few thousand pounds to spare and a strong stomach for the sea crossing. I went in February 1999, via Buenos Aires and Ushuaia, aboard an old well renowned ship called the 'Disko' . It had no stabilizers and I was sick sick sick for two day crossing the famous Drake Passage and then a complete repeat for the crossing back. But down there amongst the ice bergs and lava black shores stinking of pink krill tinted penguin guano, I found a land of beauty and wonder. I could write and write about this trip but I have to get back to the North.

I joined several polar societies including SPRI and then looked Northwards at the exploration of Greenland and Arctic Canada. I became interested in Inuit Culture and especially their print making and stone carving. I support the Inuit Art Foundation and send money to help with materials, training etc. My own artwork - stained glass, cast glass and stone carving - is heavily influenced by the work of the Inuit people.

Therefore you can see that when this opportunity arose to not only go to Arctic Norway as an adventurer but also to support another charity which I feel strongly about (SPRI), I jumped at the chance. It is going to be hard I know but then it is a challenge and not a holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home